Adventures in Baby Food
I used to say that spoon feeding baby food was the worst part of having a baby. Since Paxton arrived I've had to revise that statement. Not just because he's a screamer, is needy, and overly sensitive. But because he actually LIKES to eat (most of the time). So, spoon feeding him isn't all that bad.
With Ayla we were rollin' in the big bucks (well, compared to now) so I didn't think twice about buying lots of baby food jars for her, tossing leftovers, and moving on. But with Paxton, money is a little tighter, so I thought I could try making my own baby food -- at least partially. It *is* cheaper (or about the same price) and is actually more convenient because you tend to buy more "bulk" that you will have on hand. Plus, I like that I can try some other foods that don't normally come in the jarred baby foods.
Here's what I've tried so far:
- butternut squash
- sweet potatoes
- acorn squash
- spaghetti squash
- banana (duh...seriously folks, don't buy jarred banana baby food...I mean, c'mon)
- applesauce - I bought a big jar of no-sugar added applesauce. He loves it and we add it to anything he doesn't love quite so much...and the jar is WAY easier than trying to cook & peel apples (no thanks).
- green beans - just mushed up the canned ones we were all eating (need to mush them more next time!)
- carrots - mushed up canned carrots
Next on my list:
- chicken (dare I?)
- canned sweet peas
- frozen broccoli
- canned corn
- any other suggestions?????
Any one want to share their baby food experiences?