Ben was out of town Friday & Saturday for a wedding in Austin, TX, so I took the opportunity to do a few decorating projects around the house. I've had the decorating itch ever since we took down all the Christmas decorations. Inspired by my sister-in-law Rachel, I decided to try out my new sewing machine (new-to-me anyway) and tackle a couple of sewing projects.
I headed out to Hancock Fabrics in search of some fabric to create a curtain in my office and was pleasantly surprised with some great sales (decorator fabric at only $3.50 a yard!). Although I was looking for a cream/green swirl design, I came across this fabric that had all of the colors from my office in one pattern: tan, red, green and turquoise. So I decided this was the way to go. I also picked up some red fringe trim and red ribbon to accent the curtain panel.
I originally wanted to make a curved panel that was longer on each side, but decided that anything curved was a little too ambitious for my novice sewing talents. So instead, I decided to make a single panel and create a roman shade with ribbon gathering up the two sides. It took me a while to get it finished, but I'm awfully proud of my new curtain. :) Any finished sewing project that doesn't result in tears is a success in my book:
And, since the sales were so good, when I saw this blue and cream fabric, I decided it was time to recover a couple of pillows in our livingroom as well. I wish I had another use for that fabric, because it was so pretty...but I settled for just a yard and a half to make two pillow covers.
My third sewing project of the day...recovering an old comforter with a homemade duvet cover made from two twin sheets for Ayla's new bed. I don't have a photo of it...but it's just a brown comforter...not too exciting. :) But, it was only an $8.00 comforter, which I think is pretty cool!
I might just have to add a few more sewing projects to my to-do craft list. I seem to be getting the hang of it....as long as you don't look TOO closely!