Wal-Mart finally had that table lamp in stock today, so I was able to finish off the nursery and take some pictures! It's as done as it's gonna be until we plop a baby in there!
Here's what my mock-up idea started as:
And here's the finished room:
After trying to hang the paper lanterns, not liking the cord hanging from the ceiling, and then eventually ripping it, Ben made the genious suggestion that we use a ficus tree (that we had in our livingroom) in that empty corner. WAY perfect. He's a better decorator than me...no doubt about that...I just have to make a few mistakes before he's willing to help me correct them!
Here's where I'll be spending many middle-of-the-night feedings. Thank you to Rachel for helping me make the rocking chair cushion and to Janel & Linda for the adorable monkey & gorilla!
The crib (still sporting the fabulous gender-neutral bedding made by Betsy)
...and the animal wall canvases I made:
The rug was $15 at World Market. I would have looked harder for a plain dark brown rug, but I couldn't beat the price, and after a week of dealing with washing everything in Ayla's room 50 times when she had the flu, I decided a $15 orange rug was a smarter choice than anything more expensive!
The changing table...now outfitted with a contoured changing pad (thank you Patricia) and stuffed with tons of blankets, socks, diapers, hats, bibs, wipes, and burp cloths:
And the last corner of the room...still a little bare, but I imagine it'll get filled with toys before too long. The giant ruler has recorded my height, my brother's height, and Ayla's height at different ages throughout the past 30 years. I LOVE that I get to have it hanging in our kids' rooms too!
And finally, some detail pics of the decorations and all the little baby clothes...just waiting for a baby:
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice on putting this room together. I'm very happy with how it turned out!
It really wasn't too hard...but I can't guarantee their launder-ability. :) I'll wait until after the photos are taken before I wash them!
- Pick a simple block font and cursive print to make your t-shirt saying.
- Print it on computer paper.
- Choose a t-shirt to alter and a contrasting color fabric for the block letters.
- Use straight pins to pin the saying to the front of the shirt where you want it to be, layering the contrasting fabric BEHIND the front of the t-shirt. (contrast fabric, then t-shirt, then printed paper on top).
- Hand-stitch with a backstitch around the outline of the letters, including any center sections (as in B, R and O).
- When you've finished stitching, gently tear away the paper (GENTLY). You should see an outline of the letters you just stitched on the t-shirt.
- Inside each letter, carefully separate the t-shirt from the contrasting fabric so that you can cut a small hole in the t-shirt fabric. Do NOT cut through the contrasting fabric or the stitching.
- Trim carefully around the inside of the stitched outline to reveal the contrasting fabric underneath.
- Turn the t-shirt inside out and trim away any excess contrasting fabric.
- When the block letters are finished, pin the cursive word above the block letters on the front of the t-shirt. Use several pins to be sure it stays put.
- Hand-stitch with a backstitch along the cursive font.
- When you've finished stitching the font, gently tear away the paper and you're finished!
- Use a light gray font on the paper and a contrasting thread color so that you can easily see where you've stitched.
I need some practice still, but I like how they turned out. And I like the price. I had everything on hand except the t-shirt for Ayla and brown thread. Total cost: $4.50. When compared with the prices you'd pay in a store...likely $30 each or more...